Objective: Intelligent models for predicting hemodialysis-related complications, i.e., hypotension and the deterioration of the quality or obstruction of the AV fistula, based on machine learning (ML) methods were established to offer early warnings to medical staff and give them enough time to provide pre-emptive treatment. Methods: A novel integration platform collected data from the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) at a dialysis center and inspection results from electronic medical records (EMR) to train ML algorithms and build models. The selection of the feature parameters was implemented using Pearson’s correlation method. Then, the eXtreme Gradient Boost (XGBoost) algorithm was chosen to create the predictive models and optimize the feature choice. 75% of collected data are used as a training dataset and the other 25% are used as a testing dataset. Results: We adopted the prediction precision and recall rate of hypotension and AV fistula obstruction to measure the effectiveness of the predictive models. These rates were sufficiently high at approximately 71%–90%. Conclusion: In the context of hemodialysis, hypotension and the deterioration of the quality or obstruction of the arteriovenous (AV) fistula affect treatment quality and patient safety and may lead to a poor prognosis. Our prediction models with high accuracies can provide excellent references and signals for clinical healthcare service providers. Clinical and Translational Impact Statement: With the integrated dataset collected from IoMT and EMR, the superior predictive results of our models for complications of hemodialysis patients are demonstrated. We believe, after enough clinical tests are implemented as planned, these models can assist the healthcare team in making appropriate preparations in advance or adjusting the medical procedures to avoid these adverse events.
|頁（從 - 到）||1|
|期刊||IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine|
|出版狀態||Accepted/In press - 2023|